Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Easy Homemade Salsa with Black Beans and Corn

I like store-bought salsa fine but even when you have to use canned tomatoes, homemade is so much better and very easy. I ate 3 bowls of this before writing this blog. My husband has just gone back for his second bowl. 




Mixxie's Chunky Salsa with Black Beans and Corn

Makes a large bowlful. Scientific, eh? Seriously, I would guess it makes about 8 cups. I forgot to measure.
  • 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, slightly drained (I used regular dice and had to chop them some---I recommend petite diced)
  • 1 14 oz can black beans, drained well under water til the water runs clear and free of blue color
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded, membrane removed and minced (if you want it spicier leave the membrane and some, 
    or all of the seeds)
  • 2-3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 red onion diced very fine
  • 1 tps cumin (roasted is nice)
  • 1 pinch cayenne
  • 2 tbs agave nectar or 1 tbs sugar (or to taste depending on sweetness of tomatoes
  • juice from two limes
  • 1 tbs mild vinegar (I used white balsamic)
  • salt to taste (start with a teaspoon depending on how salty your tomatoes are)
  • 1/2 cup cilantro chopped (or less if you are not as crazy about cilantro as I am)
In a glass, ceramic, or plastic bowl, mix the tomatoes, corn, beans, jalapeno, garlic, onion, cumin,
cayenne, lime juice, and vinegar. Taste and then add the sweetener and salt a little at a time until you
come to the taste you like. I save stirring in the cilantro until the very end for the freshest flavor.

Other things you can add: diced seedless cucumber, diced avocado, diced red and yellow bell pepper,
diced yellow squash or diced zucchini. 


My husband and I enjoyed the salsa with tortilla chips while watching Modern Family but this salsa would also be great as a topping for grilled fish, chicken, pork, or tofu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and contributions. Rude posts and spam will be immediately deleted.